Etch Lenny Squeeze upgrades and sysv-rc

Hi,

I don't know if it is because several of my servers started out as Etch then got upgraded to Lenny end then to Squeeze, or if it is something in the Lenny to Squeeze upgrade but....

During most of my upgrades the sysv-rc upgrade failed at first because of the old libdevmapper1.02 package.
The solution was simple as there was already an installed libdevmapper1.02.1 version installed at that time which did not have the problem.
So just
  # aptitude purge libdevmapper1.02
  # dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc
and the problem is gone. However, I was unable to find anything about this in the Squeeze upgrade notes.

Did I miss something? Or is it because they started out as Etch? I am assuming so but the funny thing is that at the start of the upgrade I did an
  # apt-get autoremove
And that did not remove the old libdevmapper1.02 which had status c at the time of the sysv-rc upgrade.

# aptitude search libdevmapper
v   libdevmapper                                                                           -
p   libdevmapper-dev                                                                       - The Linux Kernel Device Mapper header files
c   libdevmapper1.02                                                                       - The Linux Kernel Device Mapper userspace library
i A libdevmapper1.02.1                                                                     - The Linux Kernel Device Mapper userspace library

Nor did
  # aptitude purge "~c"
delete that package when I ran that at the beginning of my upgrade run.
So probably the libdevmapper1.02.1 was installed during the upgrade process, which is kinda funny as a default Lenny installation already has the 1.02.1 version.

For whoever still needs to upgrade their Lenny system to Squeeze, now you know what it going on. I'm finished as of last week. :-)

Bonno Bloksma