Re: Problem with NetworkManager - WAS: Re: Help needed to repair a damaged dual boot Debian System

Bernard,  4.03.2012:
> Selim T. Erdogan wrote:
> >Andrei POPESCU,  3.03.2012:
> >>Make sure you have NO definition for eth0 in
> >>/etc/network/interfaces and that you have:
> >>
> >>[ifupdown]
> >>managed=false
> >>
> >>in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
> >>
> >>If it still doesn't work after a restart[1] please attach both files.
> >>
> >>[1] not sure why, but in some cases new configurations did not
> >>work properly until a full restart
> >
> >Or you can keep /etc/network/interfaces as you have it now and edit
> >/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to have
> >
> >[main]
> >plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
> >
> >[ifupdown]
> >managed=true
> >
> >(And you have to restart Network Manager.)
> >

> I just tested both ways, to no avail.
>
> At first, I must say that my system did not have any
>
> NetworkManager.conf file in /etc/NetworkManager/
>
> The only NetworkManager.conf file that could be found on this system was in
>
> /etc/dbus-1/system.d/

I have that file too but it's not related to what we're trying to do.

> I can see the same thing on this other machine still on Lenny, where
> I am writing this from: no  /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
> file either.
>
> the man page for NetworkManager does not mention any such conf file.
> I did not dare modifying /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager.conf
>
> But I tested creating an /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf,
> with only
>
> ****************************
>
> [main]
> plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
>
> [ifupdown]
> managed=false
> ******************************

I wrote managed=true in my message above.  (Andrei's message had false.)

> As a first trial, I had just written:
>
> ***********************
> [ifupdown]
> managed=false
> *************************
>
> in it. But maybe I should have modified permissions and owner ?  Owner was root and perms: -rw-r--r--

My permissions and the owner are the same as yours.

> Besides, my /etc/network/interfaces file did not contain any definition for eth0. Still, I tested removing any mention of eth0, to no avail.

My /e/n/i file has eth0.  That's why we are changing NetworkManager.conf,
to get it to cooperate with /e/n/i.

If you don't want to define eth0 in /e/n/i, then you can try Andrei's
suggestion.  (If you do, you might have to set specifics of your wired
interface using the NetworkManager applet.)  However, your /e/n/i file
below defines eth0!

> Below is my  'etc/network/interfaces' file :

> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface