Re: sound issues

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> wrote:

2012/3/4 Darren Crotchett <debian@crotchett.com>
I am going to clearly remark as much as possible for the benefit of anyone who may find this page later.  See my inline replies/comments.....

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 05:53, Darren Crotchett <debian@crotchett.com> wrote:

> Can you elaborate on what you mean by "it just needs to be setup correctly"?
> I'm going to be working on this issue today.  Before I install the
> applications that Raffaele recommended, I want to give Pulseaudio one more
> chance because I would rather figure out the problem than to circumvent it.
> OTOH, I don't want to fight a losing battle either.

So, I originally setup mine based on the PA wiki's "Perfect Setup".
It is rather
extensive and a lot of the stuff in there is from a time when there
was less support
for PA.

Here are the essentials:
Edit /etc/asound.conf (for all users) or ~/.asoundrc (per-user)
I have only these two entries in mine:

Neither of these files existed.  I didn't care about a per-user setting, so I just created an /etc/asound.conf and added the recommended lines below.

pcm.!default {
   type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
   type pulse
}

Make sure you are in the groups "audio", "pulse-access" and "pulse-rt"

I used vigr and vigr -s to edit the groups.  My user was already in "audio". I added it to "pulse-access" group.  And, I did not have a pulse-rt group.  I did not create the group.

Make sure that Pulse is being run automatically at startup (it should be,
I just remember when it was not, and I had to set it up myself).

It was already starting automatically with /etc/init.d/pulseaudio

---

The setting of the alsa default to pulse should make most things work,
but personally I set a number of things to PA explicitly. At least some of these
used to be required (they did not automatically use pulse and avoided the
alsa default or similar). Nowadays that may not be the case, I don't know.
Also they may have a PA driver that is different from the alsa driver, and
may work better than redirected alsa.

in ~/.mplayer/config: ao = pulse

in ~/.xine/config: audio.driver:pulseaudio

in ~/.vlcrc or ~/.config/vlc/vlcrc: aout=pulse

in /etc/libao.conf: default_driver=pulse

I did not have the mplayer or xine config files above files.  So, I created them and add the recommended lines.  I had the ~/.config/vlc/vlcrc.  The aout directive was present, but was commented out and had no value.  So, I set it.  I changed the /etc/libao.conf from default_driver=alsa to default_driver=pulse.

for gstreamer:
gconftool-2 -t string --set /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink pulsesink
gconftool-2 -t string --set /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosrc pulsesrc
gconftool-2 -t string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink pulsesink
gconftool-2 -t string --set
/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/chataudiosink pulsesink

I ran the gconftool-2 commands.

KDE's Phonon uses vlc, mplayer or gstreamer, so the above should cover
that as well

SDL (used for some games) can be set to explicitly use PA with:
export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=pulse
(needs to be done in a startup script like ~/.bashrc to be permanent)

I added the export to the .bashrc.  I also executed it at the command line so I didn't have to log out and back in.

I restarted pulseaudio with: /etc/init.d/pulseaudio restart

This did not seem to work.  So, I rebooted.  This seems to work.  I was able to play a movie with sound on VLC, Minecraft and Skype all at once without breaking anything.

As far as I remember that is about it. As I said, setting those explicitly
may not be needed anymore, I just don't know.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Thank you so much for sticking with me.  I appreciate everyone's comments.  I hope that someone with find this thread useful in the future.

Just to clarify with Kelly about what "complicated" stands for :-)

IMHO you are going to get what you want in two steps:
killall pulseaudio && aptitude install jackd qjackctl

regards

-r

--
L'unica speranza di catarsi, ammesso che ne esista una, resta affidata all'istinto di ribellione, alla rivolta non isterilita in progetti, alla protesta violenta e viscerale.

Thanks for posting.  The were 2 reasons that I went with PA, neither of which were because I thought installing jackd might be complicated.  The first reason was because PA was installed by default.  Unless I have a particularly good reason (like nVidia drivers) I try to stick to "out of the box" as much as possible because it seems to help prevent future issues related to updates and upgrades.  The other reason was because I was hoping to finally figure out what I don't understand about sound on Linux.  As I mentioned in my first post, sound is always an issue for me.  And, somehow, I always tinker long enough to get it to work.  This time, I hoped to actually learn something.  I don't really think I did though.

Maybe in the long run, installing jackd would have been an easier and more manageable solution.