Re: evolution segfaults except when run in gdb

On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 17:23 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 13:14:10 +0100, Steven Post wrote:
>
> > Since the beginning of this week evolution crashes on my user account.
> > Running from a terminal window I see all plugins getting loaded fine and
> > it starts to sync my imap account, then is suddenly disappears with a
> > segfault in the terminal window.
>
> If the last thing you can see before it crashes is the IMAP syncing
> routine, have you tried to disable this account?

After the first time I deleted all user information from my home dir
(~/.localshare/evolution and ~/.gconf/apps/evolution) and only added my
local mail spool (/var/mail), it still crashed with only that local
account.

> > The thing is, this doesn't happen on other accounts on this desktop,
> > re-installation doesn't work, and I already cleared all evolution
> > related settings and mail inside my home directory. It then runs
> > normally until I add an account, then it is back with the segfault.
>
> So the problem seems to be under your user's profile (have you tried to
> reset/restore it?

Yes, see above.

> What DE are you running?

I'm running the testing distribution with gnome 3.2.

> ) or you're having problems
> with a specific account settings (it happens when you add any type of
> account -pop3, imap, local mailbox- or just crashes with one of them?).

As soon as any account is added, it crashes. I haven't tried with pop3
and some others, only with imap and local account.

> > I tried to obtain some kind of backtrace as suggested on [1], by running
> > evolution from gdb. But when I try this, evolution doesn't segfaults and
> > I can work normally.
>
> It sounds like one of the Murphy's Laws: "a program never crashes when
> you run it in debug mode" ;-(

It seems that way :(

> Greetings,
>
> --