Re: Postgresql-8.1 Removal Problems

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 17:54:10 +0200, David Baron wrote:

>> > apt-get / dpkg -r/ dpkg -P
>> > I do not use aptitude
>>
>> And what's the full output for that commands?
> ~$ sudo dpkg -P postgresql-8.1
> (Reading database ... 546325 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing postgresql-8.1 ...
> find: `/usr/share/postgresql/8.1/tsearch_data': No such file or
> directory dpkg: error processing postgresql-8.1 (--purge):
>  subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
> update-rc.d: warning: postgresql-8.1 stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do
> not match LSB Default-Stop values (S 0 1 6) Errors were encountered
> while processing:
>  postgresql-8.1
>
> Note that the "find: error is new.

It seems the post-script routine is in a very bad shape. Have you tried
by appending "--force-remove-reinstreq"?

***
remove-reinstreq:  Remove  a  package, even if it’s broken and
marked to require reinstallation. This may, for example, cause
parts  of the package to remain on the system, which will then
be forgotten by dpkg.
***

So, "dpkg -P --force-remove-reinstreq postgresql-8.1".

> I have the init.d script doing nothing. The daemon is not running.

You can be also hitting this issue:

A quick Google search finds many problems for postgresql removing/
upgrading scripts.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón