Re: Help needed to repair a damaged dual boot Debian System

On 28/02/12 16:31, Bernard wrote:

What did I do since my last post ? As Richard suggested, I opened up the box and checked cables around the cdrom hardware. I noticed something that I thought weird at first: the CDROM blocks were connected to a cable where one could read: "HD cable", while the HD was linked to a cable that read "CDROM cable". I then swaped cables, and tested. The only difference I got was that my Linux system now had to be booted on /dev/hdc3, while it did boot on /dev/hda3 before. Still, none of my CDs did operate on Debian, one did operate on MSWIN, none would boot an autoboot system CD.

This being done, I decided to unplug one of my two CDROM drives, the one that did not work on either system. I removed all cables from that drive. This helped a lot, so it seems. My Debian system still boots on /dev/hdc3, but now my only CDROM drive does work on /dev/hda (hda as is, not on hda1 or whatever, which I did find weird though). It does work, and also I am now able to boot on a system CD !! So, I could possibly decide to re-install... I could also decide to use my machine "as is" since it now operates almost as it did before, with only one CDROM and no CD writer (but I don't need that on this particular machine) ; I just changed the /boot/grub/menu.lst and replaced "/dev/sda3 by "/dev/hdc3".

However... Something still has to be wrong with this machine. Why does it now reckognises my HD and CD drives as /dev/hdc (hdc1 for MSWIN, hdc2 for swap space and hdc3 for Debian system) and /dev/hda for the now unique CDROM drive.... while it previously did reckognise these pieces of hardware as SCSI drives (/dev/sda1, sda2, sda3 for the HD... Nothing shows if I type:

Thanks in advance for you explanations and advices.

Sounds like your cdrom drives may have their jumpers set to primary rather than secondary.

Possible explanation for sd becoming hd; you altered the cables between your drives.