Re: Question about HotPlug and cciss hp storage

On 2/28/2012 4:20 AM, Julien Groselle wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Frank,

Who is Frank?

> we have decided to use soft RAID to optimise our supervision and to
> optimise our RAID with all the tool that linux provide !
> And for me it's better to optimise a RAID5 (RAID6) than use a non optimised
> RAID10 :
> - no more HDD "lost", we have 8 disks, so 4 "real" in RAID10 and 6 in RAID6
> - Linux kernel optimisation give us amazing transfert rate, and I/O
> - with MD and LVM we can align I/O strictly

So you've made the choice than performance and usable space, above, are
more critical than manageability, below.  BTW, if you are using all 8
drives in an mdraid array, what drive(s) are you booting the system
from?  The DL380 G7 only has 8 drive slots.  Are you booting from the md
array?

> But here is not the discussion.
>
> Return to hpacucli...
> I have used this tools to remove 2 HDD "unassigned", every thing was OK
> until the arrayprobe script give me a warning !
> Am I unlucky ??
>
> # arrayprobe
> WARNING Arrayprobe Logical drive 1 on /dev/cciss/c0d0: Logical drive is not
> configured
>
> # arrayprobe -r
> [...]
> Event code 1/0/0 with tag 15
> at 2-28-2012 08:26:30
> with message: Hot-plug drive removed, Port=1I Box=1 Bay=3 SN=
>

> Event code 4/0/0 with tag 16
> at 2-28-2012 08:26:30
> with message: Physical drive failure, Port=1I Box=1 Bay=3
> physical drive 2 has failed with failurecode 20.
>
> Event code 0/0/0
> with message: No events to report.
>
> failed to open device /dev/ida/c0d0: No such file or directory
> Logical drive 0 on controller /dev/cciss/c0d0 has state 0
> Logical drive 1 on controller /dev/cciss/c0d0 has state 2
> Logical drive 2 on controller /dev/cciss/c0d0 has state 2
> Logical drive 3 on controller /dev/cciss/c0d0 has state 0
> WARNING Arrayprobe Logical drive 1 on /dev/cciss/c0d0: Logical drive is not
> configured
>
> Does my Logical dive 1 mapped on /dev/cciss/c0d0 is not configured...
> impossible this is my "system RAID"
> # hpacucli ctrl slot=0 ld 1 show
>
> Smart Array P410i in Slot 0 (Embedded)
>
>    array A
>
>       Logical Drive: 1
>          Size: 136.7 GB
>          Fault Tolerance: RAID 1
>          Heads: 255
>          Sectors Per Track: 32
>          Cylinders: 35132
>          Strip Size: 256 KB
>          Array Accelerator: Enabled
>          Unique Identifier: 600508B1001C02B880CF0DDEE7FD0FEC
>          Disk Name: /dev/cciss/c0d0
>          Mount Points: /boot 190 MB
>          OS Status: LOCKED
>          Logical Drive Label: A00FD4B45001438009E6ADD046E6
>          Mirror Group 0:
>             physicaldrive 1I:1:1 (port 1I:box 1:bay 1, SAS, 146 GB, OK)
>          Mirror Group 1:
>             physicaldrive 1I:1:2 (port 1I:box 1:bay 2, SAS, 146 GB, OK)
>
> So, what's wrong now ??
> I request your help again on this point, and i hope it will be the last
> one...

Unfortunately this is beyond my experience/expertise at this point.
Unless someone else here can help you, I suggest you contact HP support,
as the problem you're having is with their closed source commercial
SmartArray support tools.  You may also want to inquire about this on
one of the mailing lists dealing with storage, such as linux-raid,
linux-scsi, etc, as someone there may have experience with such an HP
hardware setup.

Or you can swap the p410i for an LSI 9211-8i in HBA mode and eliminate
all of your current problems instantly.  The only downside is you'll
lose a little write performance due to the lack of write cache.
Everything else is upside.  I think I mentioned this option before.
It's ~$250 USD.  What's your time worth Julien?  How much time have you
spent on this already?

--
Stan