Re: [OT]: Printing to file from Adobe Acrobat's reader

On 28/02/12 15:56, Camaleón wrote:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 10:35:31 +0100, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

I was the happiest of Evince user, with only a vague, remote remembrance
of Acrobut horrors... until... this werid PDF document for work came,
claiming it contains some forms and can only be opened with Adobe's
Acrobat bloat... After trying almost any available PDF reader on linux I
reluctantly download the thing, installed it and correctly opened the
document.

Saddly, there's a bunch of complex PDF files out there that can be only
managed with Acrobat Reader :-(

Alas, yes

Now, I was hoping to find the familiar "Print to file" printer do a pdf
or ps print and get rid of Acrobat as soon as possible (in fact, for
example it had already seemed to have hijacked my firefox pdf behaviour
without anyone asking it to).
Turns out this is not possible and the only other options (apart from
the physical printers) is a lp command...

GNOME and KDE DE usually provide such a virtual printer for getting PDF
and PS from almost any viewable file. Another standalone applications
(like the LibreOffice suite) also allow to export to PDF.

Yes, so does XFCE... trouble is Adobe Acrobat doesn't present it :|

Googling led me to lpr and cups-pdf which, once installed, gives a neat
printer called, unsurprisingly, "PDF". But, when I try printing with
that - you guess -I get an error with a totally uninformative message
showing  lpr  usage.

I also have cups-pdf installed and works pretty fine. What kind of
document did you try to print? And how did you manage to print (directly
from command line, from specific app...)?

his does not happen with, say, libreoffice which will correctly print a
document to my ~/PDF directory.

You mean that printing to cups-pdf from LO document works fine?

Exactly. Of course in libreoffice that is hyper-redundant as you have pdf export, print to file and now also the "PDF" cups printer :)

Also, remember that there are some PDF files that you wont be able to
print from Acrobat Reader because the PDF file itself can have
restrictions or limitations that Acrobat Reader has to apply because this
application conforms to DRM rules :-(

It prints ok to the hardware printer (well I tried a couple of pages as it's a pretty long document), so this doesn't seem the case. Just a document full of form fields which is now locked for modification but should be printed.

Lorenzo.