Re: text browsers

There is a learning curve to edbrowse, but it does do javascript if the
latest version is used.  In that package is a setup-ebrc script that has
to be run by a user not root once package installation is complete and the
script needs to be in the user's directory when run.  The support group
for edbrowse is commandline-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and it's usually
pretty low volume.  Unfortunately with edbrowse debian version one of its
real dependencies isn't downloaded along with the package but that's on
the package maintainers.  You won't need the dependency until you run into
javascript and /usr/share/edbrowse-3.xx has a good readme file in it.On
Mon, 27 Feb 2012, Keith McKenzie wrote:

> On 27/02/12 10:11, Weaver wrote:
> > Hello one and all.
> >
> > I'm seting up a gui-less system and was wondering about text browsers -
> > what's good?
> > Anything to avoid, that is behind in development, not being maintained or
> > is obviously behind the others in some respect or other.
> >
> > I don't want to start a flame war.....seriously.
> >
> > re there any that are head and shoulders above the rest, more intuitive,
> > stable, etc,?
> >
> > Thanking you for any time and trouble.
> > Regards,
> >
> > Weaver.
> >
> You'll have to work at understanding how to browse with them.
>
> I don't 'recommend', but I have tried 'lynx', 'links', & 'elinks'; I didn't
> get on with any of them.
>
> The problem is mainly that so many web sites use javascript & flash, etc. They
> don't conform to www standards.

Jude <jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>