Re: grub gets confused when I upgrade the kernel

26/02/2012 21:54, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I have two different Debian systems on my EEEPC -- stable and testing.
>
> Whenever testing installs a new kernel as a result of the routing update,
> my grub/menu.list file gets rewritten.  WHen it does this, it matches the
> kernels I have in one Debian sysstem with the fie-system root I have in
> the other.  I have to hand-edit menu.list to make things right again,
> using static boot stanzas in front of the AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST.
>
> (a) Is there any way I can stop this misbehaviour?

Hi, don't know about that, maybe you could try out grub-pc (a.k.a.
"grub2") from the testing system. Install grubs in MBR and let it manage
your dual boot, you might have a good surprise.

> (b) If I were to progress to grub2, where I gather I can't take control
> of the boot process by editing menu.lst, is there some other way of
> making sure things go right?  I fear that one of these years, upgrading
> to grub2 will become inevitable.

grub2 has mostly behaved in a great way for me, and it's definitely a
step forward when booting complex configurations (raid, luks, lvm,
"alien" operating systems).

In a /etc/grub.d/xx_custom script you can set up, well, custom boot
entries. Use the other scripts (xx-linux) in the same directory as
guidance regarding syntax.