Re: How to share the Internet with Linux and an iPad by Wi-Fi?

Ralf Mardorf, 19.02.2012:
> On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 19:08 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 12:58 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > Connection name: Wireless connection 1
> > >         [x] Connect automatically
> > >         [x] Available to all users
> > >         Tab "Wireless"
> > >         SSID: oz
> > >         Mode: Ad-hoc
> > >         Band: Automatic
> > >         (Channel: default)
> > >         BSSID:
> > >         Device MAC address:
> > >         Cloned MAC adresse:
> > >         MTU: automatic
> > >         Tab "IPv4 Settings"
> > >         Method: Shared to other computers
> > >         (Adress:
> > >         Netmask:
> > >         Gateway:
> > >         DNS servers:
> > >         Search domains:
> > >         DHCP client ID:)
> > >         [x] Require IPv4 addressing for this connection to complete
> > >         (Nothing edited for "Routes...")
> > >         Nothing edited for tab "IPv6 Settings"
> > >         Tab "Wireless security"
> > >         Security: WEP 128-bit Passphrase
> > >         Key: 1234567890
> >
> > I figured out that the key 1234567890 is the Password I need to type
> > using the iPad, nm shows "Wireless connection Last used now". Regarding
> > to http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/wifi/#section_1 I don't
> > have to set any Proxy settings on the iPad. Anyway, the iPad get no
> > access to the Internet. While the wireless connection is reconnecting
> > again and again and again, managed by nm, I need to run sudo poff -a and
> > sudo pon dsl-provider again and again and again. Using nm to do the
> > PPPoE connection doesn't work. Isn't there any howto for Debian and/or
> > Ubuntu?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ralf
>
> Switching to "WPA & WPA2 personal" nm disconnect all the time. The
> padlock icon on the iPad isn't shown anymore. The situation is more
> worse as when using WEP.

I would try an open network (no WEP/WPA) at first, just to minimize
potential stumbling blocks.

I have been able to get my wired ethernet shared over wireless using
network manager by choosing "create a new network" from nm-applet,
though I should say that it took a few tries and possibly some updates
(in sid) between the non-working and working attempts.  I get the
feeling that ad-hoc mode is not supported as well as managed mode on
most devices, since almost all common use is managed.[*]  And I mean
that the ad-hoc problems could affect either side --- the computer
sharing out its connection and/or the ones trying to connect.
Now my connection sharing seems to work fine, though the connection is
slow on some devices --- domain name resolution in particular.

[*] Today I was with a friend and we tried to share his 3G over
wireless, on his Windows 7 laptop, creating an ad-hoc network.  His
WinXP laptop saw the ad-hoc network and connected but his cell phone and
his Samsung Galaxy tablet didn't see the network at all.  His Samsung TV
saw the network but only connected once in about ten tries.  (Usually,
it got an IP but no netmask/gateway or dns.  Very strange.)