Re: Mutt and HTML signatures

Daniel Bareiro wrote:
> I was never very fond of sending emails in HTML format, but recently I
> changed of job and when my boss saw I was using a company's signature
> without the company logo, he asked me to put the pictures in the
> signature. It seemed more a psychological than a real problem...

And the psychology of it is producing the opposite problem of
propagating the use of html for email which I find very undesirable.

> Is there any way to use HTML signatures with Mutt? More than 10 years
> that I use Mutt and I would not like having to change it just for
> this. I tried using a signature file with HTML code, but after reviewing
> the receipt of the message, HTML code is seen rather than rendering.

No.  You can't turn html on and off inline like that.  What you will
get is plain text with the html markup content as plain text.  (If I
am wrong, someone please jump in with an example.)  You can only do it
by turning on html email so that the recipient sees html email.  The
html part could have a logo but the plain text part can never have a
logo.  It isn't possible.

The pushback you may get is that your boss probably always selects the
html email and doesn't realize the bad nature of it.  This would be
standard with Gmail or Thunderbird or Outlook or other of those.

Note that the Debian mailing list code of conduct explicitly forbids
sending html mail to the mailing list.  (See this page for it:
mailing lists forbid html email.  If you were to turn on html email
when sending please do not turn it on for any public mailing list
discussion.

Let me spend a moment talking about mime mail encodings.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME

The mail standards allow you to send plain text email.  That is email
the way it has always been.  Plain text.  Just send the message.  This
is always good.  The mime mail standards allow you to send mime
encoded email.  This is useful for signed messages such as mine.  The
mime standards allow you to send multipart alternative messages in the
different mime sections.

In multipart alternative both parts are supposed to be equivalent
parts.  In theory you could send plain text, html text, audio files,
video files, image files or other all as equivalent parts of the same
message.  The recipient's MUA would then select the most appropriate
part for display.  In theory they might be listening to your voice
read the message instead of seeing text on the page.  But in practice
this is only done with plain text and html text.  Therefore the
idea is that a sender can send a message as both plain text and as
html text in the two separate parts.  Then the recipient reading the
message will display the part that is desired for their environment.

In my environment this is always plain text.  I try to avoid the need
to fire up lynx, w3m, elinks, or links to read a mail message.  I
really, really try to avoid firing up Firefox or Chromium to read an
email message.

If you are following along so far you will realize that the only
practical way to get an image in your email is if your entire email is
formatted as html text.  Your boss would then be seeing the html text
version of the email and would get the logo.  But that would alienate
you from the sane portion of the world such as the technical mailing
list forums.

Additionally getting an image into html messages isn't a simple
question either.  You have a couple of choices.  You can reference the
image as a full external url link.  http://www.example.com/image.png
or some such.  But most mail user agents will have concern for
security.  Those types of things are often used by spammers.  The link
may have identifying information or web-bugs in them to track you.
That is all bad too.  Therefore safe mailers will not display that
content to you.  At the least they will offer the choice to you for
you to decide if you want to fetch those images from the net.

Alternatively you can include the base64 encoded binary blob of the
image inline in the email message.  That avoids the problem of
fetching the image from the network.  However it bloats the email
messages to be *HUGE*.  Additionally it isn't entirely safe either.
There have been many buffer overflow attacks against various image
formats.

I think you see that by now trying to do what your boss thinks is
trivial is really just a very big step into the abyss.  (Look for the
discussion of Virgil earlier on this list.  It isn't too often we get
to discuss classical literature and modern computer theory in the same
discussion thread. <grin>)

Bob