Re: New computer planned

Am Montag, 20. Februar 2012 schrieb Andrei POPESCU:
> On Lu, 20 feb 12, 16:29:18, Doug wrote:
> > You need a real mechanical hard drive.  The solid-state drives have
> > a  limited read/write cycle.
>
> Recent studies seem to suggest that the limited read/write cycles are
> unlikely to affect normal usage.

Intel SSD 320 is specced a useful life of at least 5 years at up to 20 GB
host writes each day.¹

Intel has a rather low annual failure rate.² Once I read some article
about numbers from other vendors with have been higher, but I do not
remember what it was anymore.

Still 0,4% annual failure rate for X25-M is 4 drives out of 1000 in one
year and it is always good to keep a backup! I have not yet seen numbers
for Intel SSD 320 tough and they have had and probably even still have a 8
MB bug. Search Heise Open for that, they have a good article on it.

Well I am not more worried than with harddisks. And up to now not even one
harddisks in my private use ever really failed. One Samsung 2,5 inch
thought it had SMART errors after some sudden power losses, but even that
one still worked. I had it replaced anyway.

[1] http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/ssd-320-
specification.html

[2] http://www.anandtech.com/show/4244/intel-ssd-320-review

Ciao,