Re: Microphone not picking any sound -- Debian Testing/Wheezy (KDE 4.6.5)

Hello Julien,

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Julien Claassen <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
> Hello Arun!
>  Sometimes in laptops, the microphone might be coupled with line-in. Have

Good point.

The laptop has two separate ports one for headphone and the other
shows the "Mic" symbol.  I take it means a microphone as opposed to
"line-in"

> you had any mic luck under Linux with this laptop?

Yes,  as mentioned in my OP I have booted Linux Mint 12 KDE RC (IIRC
it is KDE 4.7.x) on this laptop and I am able to use the "Mic" when I
insert the my mic into the very same port that I am trying to use in
Debian Testing but no joy in Debian.  (The same problem exists in
openSUSE 12.1 as well - mic does not work)

> You might have a look in
> alsamixer or alsamixergui for line-in settings as well and you might test
> it, by plugging in an external mic, or if it's switched, you might just plug
> any cable in - a headphone should do - and then unplug it. I have seen a
> soundcard, which would switch internal mic and line-in, depending on a plug
> being in the line-in jack.

I'll experiment as you have suggested but what stumps me is that it
works in Linux Mint 12 KDE RC :(

-- Arun Khan