Re: Windows screws up Linux's clock

On 02/21/2012 10:52 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Tony Baldwin wrote:
On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 04:55:14AM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
I run my machine on UCT, or something like it (timezone +0).  Every  time
I boot to Windows XP (which I need to do once in a blue moon) Windows
takes it on itself to set my clock as if the UCT time were actually local
time.  I have no idea where it gets its idea of what the current time is.

What I'd like to know is, how can I keep Windows from messing with my
clock.  I'd really like it to just leave it alone.

-- hendrik

Funny.
I was just translating the part of Raphael's book that addresses this
issue, yesterday.
He recommends disabling UTC in /etc/defauilt/rcS for any dual boot system
with Windows in the book.
The problem, according to Raphael, is that Windows keeps the CMOS locked
to local time (rather than updating from an NTP server), or some such
thing.
(more info on the book: http://www.debian-handbook.info)

It was brought to this thread that this is old information, and you can
instead tell Windows to use the hwclock on UTC through a registry key
change.

Barring any weird windows bugs, this would be a rather superior choice,
but one should test how Windows deals with an UTC hwclock during DST
changes to be sure.

Windows themselves recommends the method that i have now posted to this list twice. That is the correct way. Once you change the registry, Linux time will NEVER change due to Windows, other methods will still have windows take control of the system time once you booth back into windows after fixing time in Linux. Making a batch file makes it easy if you are one of those that always reinstalls windows. But if you reinstalling windows a ton then you have other issues to worry about in Windows than you do time in general.