Re: Simultaneous desktop environments (Gnome and xfce) in two X server sessions.

On 02/20/12 21:33, yudi v wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to get gnome (default in tty7) and xfce (in tty1) to run
at the sametime.
I got as far as launching another x server session and xfce4 with the
following command:

startx startxfce4 -- :1

There are couple of issues I am trying to resolve:

1. when I switch back to tty7 X server session in tty1 terminates. How
to fix this?

The command that you are using is not starting the new xserver in tty1. It is almost certainly in tty8, the next available tty session. The :1 is display 1, not tty1. I use aliases of startx such as:

	startx -- :0 vt07
	startx -- :1 vt08
	startx -- :2 vt09

to start three separate x session on tty7, tty8 and tty9, respectively. Note that these explicitly request a tty (vt) as well as a display session. These are completely separate, started by separate users (myself, my wife and my daughter). We all have our own startup programs and configurations (in our .xinitrc files). These three sessions, and, recently, a fourth session on vt10 for testing purposes are all running simultanously. This way, a simply ctl-alt-F7|F8|F9F10 gets any of us to our own session just as we left it.

2. all the start-up applications under Gnome also start in xfce, how
can I completely separate the environments. I would like to keep them
as independent as possible.