Simultaneous desktop environments (Gnome and xfce) in two X server sessions.

Hi all,

I am trying to get gnome (default in tty7) and xfce (in tty1) to run
at the sametime.
I got as far as launching another x server session and xfce4 with the
following command:

startx startxfce4 -- :1

There are couple of issues I am trying to resolve:

1. when I switch back to tty7 X server session in tty1 terminates. How
to fix this?

2. all the start-up applications under Gnome also start in xfce, how
can I completely separate the environments. I would like to keep them
as independent as possible.

--
Kind regards,
Yudi