Re: quick and dirty backup

On 02/20/2012 05:40 AM, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
> My Debian machines have almost no data, just packages and config files. Just before a major upgrade, and a few othe times, I'd like to have a quick and dirty backup of most files including logfiles, run files like dhcp.leases etc. So what I do is a simple: > tar -zcf /mnt/backup/linXXX-lenny.tar.gz / --exclude /mnt --exclude /proc --exclude /sys

Given the above tarball and a blank hard drive, have you created a functionally-equivalent system to what you started with? E.g. have you validated your recovery process?

My approach is to put the O/S, applications, configuration files, etc., on one hard drive (system drive), put pictures, music, video, etc., on a second drive (data drive), use Norton Ghost 2003 to take/ restore images of the system drive as desired (after a fresh installation, prior to upgrades, etc.), and Perl-driven tar/ gzip/ rsync to do daily backups of /home, data, etc.. I assume FOSS tools may be used instead of Ghost 2003, but if it ain't broke...

"Backup & Recovery Inexpensive Backup Solutions for Open Systems" is a worthwhile purchase and read:

    http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596102463.do

HTH,

David