Re: Question about APT's config on Debian (not an actual issue)

"Christofer C. Bell" <christofer.c.bell@gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm wondering how the following Ubuntu-isms made it into Debian's APT
>configuration:
>
>cbell@circe:~$ apt-config dump | egrep 'verse|ubuntu'
>APT::NeverAutoRemove:: "^linux-ubuntu-modules-.*";
>APT::Never-MarkAuto-Sections:: "universe/metapackages";
>APT::Never-MarkAuto-Sections:: "multiverse/metapackages";
>APT::Never-MarkAuto-Sections:: "universe/oldlibs";
>APT::Never-MarkAuto-Sections:: "multiverse/oldlibs";
>cbell@circe:~$

Interesting.

>Are these really necessary?

I can imagine that in case you have a Ubuntu repository or PPA in
your sources.list, you might want to have these. This might be
especially the case with the first line, as it is possible that a
specific driver/module is only available from such sources.

>And is it worth filing a bug for their removal?

Do you think these are harmful in any way? If so, how? And if they
are harmful, does this ‘harm’ make up for the potential benefit they
have for users either mixing Ubuntu and Debian or wanting to use one
to install the other?

You should also take into account the fact that with these lines in
Debian, too, maintaining APT in Ubuntu is made easier and applied
patches less complex, which might result in better software even for
Debian.

But, of course, these are just a user’s opinions, so if you feel like
filing a bug, I won’t stop you :)

Best regards,

Claudius
--
Luck can't last a lifetime, unless you die young.
		-- Russell Banks