Re: Debian SID or Wheezy/SID?

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

> On 2012-02-18 17:37 +0100, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>
>> I'm running Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid system.
>>
>> /etc/apt/sources.list
>>
>> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
>> deb     http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
>>
>> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
>> deb     http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
>>
>> So it seems that this a mixed system, right?
>
> This depends on your apt preferences.  By default, you're getting all
> packages from sid except those which only exist in wheezy, so there is
> little difference to a pure sid system.
>
>> What would happen if I would commented wheezy lines by using a # and
>> after that I run 'aptitude update' and 'aptitude safe-upgrade'?
>
> You may have a few more obsolete packages, and if apt currently
> prefers testing, you would be upgrading your system to sid.

I'm asking this question in the Subject because when I want to fill a
bugreport with reportbug, I get message:

Getting status for projectcenter.app...
Checking for newer versions at madison, incoming.debian.org and
http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html

Your version (0.6.0-1+b1) of projectcenter.app appears to be out of
date.
The following newer release(s) are available in the Debian archive:
  testing: 0.6.0-1+b2
  unstable: 0.6.0-1+b2
                    ^^
but when I search for the projectcenter.app package, I get only
aptitude search projectcenter.app
i A projectcenter.app

and

aptitude show projectcenter.app
Package: projectcenter.app
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Version: 0.6.0-1+b1
                 ^^
so I don't understand that that if the Debian repository has a newer
projectcenter.app than on my Debian wheezy/sid system however I did
'aptitude update' then why can't I install the ...+b2 version instead of
...+b1 version?

>> Can I mess up my system in this way?
>
> Possibly.  What does "apt-cache policy" print?

Package files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     release a=now
 500 http://dl.google.com/linux/talkplugin/deb/ stable/main amd64
 Packages
     release v=1.0,o=Google, Inc.,a=stable,n=stable,l=Google,c=main
     origin dl.google.com
 500 http://debian.scribus.net/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
     release o=Oleksandr Moskalenko
 <malex@debian.org>,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Upstream Scribus pack
age repository,c=main
     origin debian.scribus.net
 500 http://code.bitlbee.org/debian/devel/testing/amd64/ ./ Packages
     release c=
     origin code.bitlbee.org
 500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ testing/main amd64 Packages
     release v=None,o=Unofficial Multimedia
 Packages,a=testing,n=wheezy,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=main
     origin www.debian-multimedia.org
 500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ sid/main amd64 Packages
     release v=None,o=Unofficial Multimedia
 Packages,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=main
     origin www.debian-multimedia.org
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/non-free Translation-en
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main Translation-hu
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main Translation-en
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/contrib Translation-en
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/non-free amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,n=wheezy,l=Debian,c=non-free
     origin ftp.debian.org
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/contrib amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,n=wheezy,l=Debian,c=contrib
     origin ftp.debian.org
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=testing,n=wheezy,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp.debian.org
500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/non-free Translation-en
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main Translation-hu
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main Translation-en
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/contrib Translation-en
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/non-free amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Debian,c=non-free
     origin ftp.debian.org
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/contrib amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Debian,c=contrib
     origin ftp.debian.org
 500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
     release o=Debian,a=unstable,n=sid,l=Debian,c=main
     origin ftp.debian.org
Pinned packages:

That's it.

--