Re: Bind errors in syslog

On 16/02/12 18:02, Bob Proulx wrote:
Tony van der Hoff wrote:
 From time to time, folloing appears in my syslog. Always in pairs,
always 10 mins apart:

Feb 16 13:44:41 tony-lx inetd[1870]: tftp/udp: bind: Address already in use
Feb 16 13:54:41 tony-lx inetd[1870]: tftp/udp: bind: Address already in use

Any suggestions as to what I can do to track down the cause of these
messages?

Thanks for your detailed reply, Bob.

First, look in /etc/inetd.conf for a line configuring tftp. You might
find a line there that looks similar to this:

   tftp dgram udp wait root /usr/sbin/in.tftpd /usr/sbin/in.tftpd -s /var/lib/tftpboot

Yes, indeed:
tony@tony-lx:~$ grep tftp /etc/inetd.conf
tftp dgram udp wait root /usr/sbin/in.tftpd /usr/sbin/in.tftpd -s /var/lib/tftpboot

Then additionally you have probably installed one of the available
tftpd packages in Debian and it started a daemon standalone.

   dpkg -l | grep tftp

Yes:
tony@tony-lx:~$ dpkg -l |grep tftp
ii tftpd-hpa 5.0-18 HPA's tftp server

For example you may have installed tftpd-hpa.  In which case it is
already running a daemon.

   $ ps -e | grep tftp
    2154 ?        00:00:00 in.tftpd

Er, no: