Re: free software mini pc

Mark Neidorff wrote at 2012-02-16 04:38 -0600:
> On Wednesday 15 February 2012 2:01:22 pm green wrote:
> > When you purchased the server on which you run Lenny, did you know for sure
> > that the installation would go smoothly and all hardware would work
> > correctly?
>
> Yes.  I knew because, for a server, I bought slightly "behind the curve."  For
> the server, I knew that I didn't need the latest and gretest, so I was able to
> look at hardware that had been on the market for about a year and check
> compatibility easily. Then the install "just worked."

I don't really get how you "check compatibility easily".  Are there any
particular resources you use?

> IMO, in getting "the latest and greatest" can be as much of an ego thing as a
> productivity thing.

True, but irrelevant.  I do not care about "latest and greatest", unless
fanless is considered as such.

> Question is: what are your specific needs going to be?  That will determine
> the power and features that you need.

Okay.  Basic desktop use, fanless.  100% supported by free software.
802.11g, ethernet, 2.5 inch bay and SATA port, USB, audio with microphone
port, video out.  Fairly solid hardware.

> > Many vendors mention various versions of Windows on their hardware pages,
> > but nothing about Linux.  So as a consumer, do I just blindly assume that,
> > although the vendor apparently does not care enough about Linux to even
> > mention it, that it will all "just work"?
>
> Here's another way of looking at the same thing.  Other M$  require that
> hardware goes through a certification process before it gets the "works
> with..." sticker.  They have a roll-out scheudle of once every few years.  Is
> that what you want?  That costs the consumer $$$.  Are you willing to spend
> for that?

It probably depends on how much it costs.  A manufacturer could probably only
guarantee support for a particular kernel version, and that does not seem so
difficult to me.

> True, audio and video devices have been less than perfectly supported in
> linux.  Look at why.  Video hardware goes through benchmark testing.  The
> "ed's choice" hardware does the best on the benchmarks and sells the best.
> So, the hardware is built to work best ON THE BENCHMARKS, but not necessarily
> in the real world.  So what linux faces is hardware that is tweaked to do well
> on benchmarks on a different OS.  This has lead to hardware manufacturers not
> releasing their code to linux, bucause they would reveal how they make the
> hardware look good on the benchmarks.

Okay, thanks for the explanation.  But yet there are audio and video devices
that do work with 100% free software.  So the hardware is out there.

> > Okay, I could look through the specifications carefully and research eg.
> > the wireless hardware, but what about when vendors change the chipset
> > mid-model?
>
> Yep.  that is always a problem with buying the "latest and greatest."

What?  If the chipset changes mid-model, then identifying that device will be
forever more difficult, regardless of whether it is recent hardware.  This is
one reason why I feel it is difficult to guarantee support *before* I have
the device in my hands, versus testing it *after*.

> > It is not for my own use, but at a location where tech support is not
> > available, and where the system will quite likely be in use for 5+ years.
>
> One question.  Do you expect the device to continue to be 100% functional when
> the infostructure around it will change over the next 5+ years?  That is not
> reasonable.

The desktop I intend to replace is more than 5 years old and it is still
capable of running squeeze.  It has an Abit KR7A-133R motherboard (reviewed
2002-04-12) and a AMD Athlon XP 1900+ (introduced 2001-11-04).  Both
available over 9 years ago.  The only hardware changes that might be more
recent are PCI wireless and a PATA hard drive.  It also has much of what I
mentioned above: ethernet, USB, audio, video out, 802.11g (may be more
recent)--but not fanless, SATA, or 100% free software support.

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/motherboards/article.php/1008771/ABIT-KR7A-133R-KT266A-Motherboard-Review.htm
http://techreport.com/articles.x/3086/1