Re: Need help dealing with the demise of qpopper [SOLVED]

On 20120216_113002, Chris Davies wrote:
> Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> > I have looked into qpopper replacement options. I'm sure setting up a
> > replacement will be easy for many, but for me it presents a
> > challenge.
>
> Happy to try and help you accept and overcome the challenge  :-)
>
> I'm not familiar with qpopper or the alternative I'm about to suggest,
> as I use dovecot/imap. However, "popa3d" seems to work here straight out
> of the box. Admittedly, I've really only tried a trivial scenario, but
> I was able to get email from /var/mail/* with local user authentication
> derived from /etc/passwd.
>
> Chris

The package, popa3d, allows me to pick up email from the host that had
been running qpopper using fetchmail and my pre-existing .fetchmailrc
. I could have been using popa3d long before this, but didn't know of
its existence.  Comparison of the documentation for the two indicates
that it is not an exact replacement for qpopper. Qualcomm popper,
qpopper, has extra features that make it 'better' than plain POP3.
But whatever the extra features are, I must not have been using them,
"It works for me." Thanks.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net