Re: How to configure two NIC's in Debian 6.0.4 box?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:57:28 +0100, Miroslav Skoric wrote:

(...)

> The issue is that the 'central' box sees the old NIC as eth0 and the new
> NIC as eth1, though I would like it to be the opposite. Besides that, it
> seems that the cards get renamed during the system boot, as follows:
>
> renamed network interface eth1 to eth1-eth0
> renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
> renamed network interface eth1-eth0 to eth0

(...)

> and the working parameters for both cards are set by Network Manager
> Applet 0.8.1
>
> I wonder what is the best way to reconfigure the NIC's so the old card
> (now eth0) boots as eth1, and the new card (now eth1) boots as eth0?

You could use static naming based on the mac address, for instance, here
you have an approach for the involved steps:

Udev: Renaming Network Interfaces
http://debianclusters.org/index.php/Udev:_Renaming_Network_Interfaces

(the file is named "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules")

Greetings,

--
Camaleón