Re: Debian breaks commitment to support Lenny until after Wheezy is released

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 17:12:57 -0500, Arcady Genkin wrote:

> In an announcement[1] from 2009, Debian promised to support Lenny at
> least until the release of Wheezy:
>
> "To accommodate the needs of larger organisations and other users with a
> long upgrade process, the Debian project commits to provide the
> possibility to skip the upcoming release and do a skip-upgrade straight
> from Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 ("Lenny") to Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 (not yet
> codenamed)."
>
> Now Debian announces[2] that it stops security support for Lenny.

(...)

I'm glad (well, "glad" in the good sense of the word, of course) to see I
was not the only user who was bitten by the afore mentioned Debian
announcement about the Lenny extended support until Wheezy is released.

As I already told you in a private e-mail, I (as you) read the
annoucement in the same way you've done and asked the same questions you
are asking right know.

Of course, I also received the same replies you are now getting¹ :-)

I also think the first announcement² *was clear* about Debian Release
Team intentions for the extended Lenny support but somehow, they changed
their mind afterwards³ though this time the announcement *was not so
clear* enough, and the fact that you and me are now in the same boat and
debating this proves that something was not not properly explained or
communicated.

But I also understand these things can happen even in the best of
families ;-), although I'd expect that upcoming announcements which are
really important (like the security support lifetime for the
distribution) are treated in the future more seriously and clearly
announced to avoid misinterpretations from users).

¹http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2011/07/msg00102.html
²http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20090729
³http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20090730

Greetings,