Re: Debian breaks commitment to support Lenny until after Wheezy is released

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 18:53, Scott Ferguson
<prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

> And subsequently noted that Squeeze was *not* released when anticipated.
> I presumed that meant the upgrade from Lenny to Wheezy would not be
> happening. (I'm cynical about release schedules and "skip" upgrades)

I wish we saw this coming, too.

> NOTE: this subject has come up many times on various Debian lists over
> the last year. I'm truly sorry you've not been aware of it.

We are subscribed to the announcements list, but we don't generally
monitor any other Debian lists.

> I'm not sure there wasn't an official announcement subsequently - or
> that the "skip" upgrade is no longer going to be available.

I just went over the archives of debian-announce for 200{9,10,11} and
found nothing.  Perhaps I'm not seeing something that's there, though.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2011/
http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2010/
http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2009/

> I also don't
> understand your concern - Squeeze still has plenty of life, we don't
> intend beginning the process of testing moves to Wheezy for another year
> as we like to wait until teething problems are sorted first.

If Wheezy comes out in Feb 2013, then Squeeze will become unsupported
in Feb 2014, right?  Since summer is the only convenient time for us
to do an upgrade, we'll have to do it in the summer of 2013, which is
a year from now.

> AFAIK it was always going to be the case that Lenny support would end
> two years after it's release.

Not according to the announcement I linked to in the original post.
The promise for extended support for Lenny was worded relative to the
release date of Wheezy, and not as a certain number of additional
years.

> No where in the original announcement was an extended support lifetime
> for Lenny discussed - only a "skip" upgrade *if* Squeeze was released early.

Quoting from the announcement once again:
"To accommodate the needs of larger organisations and other users with
a long upgrade process, the Debian project commits to provide the
possibility to skip the upcoming release and do a skip-upgrade
straight from Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 ("Lenny") to Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
(not yet codenamed)."

I don't see any ifs there, it's all worded pretty straight forwardly.

Secondly, do you mean to say that "possibility to skip the upcoming
release" does not include promise of support?  That would be totally
ridiculous, especially given that the exception is offered with
"larger organisations" in mind.  Do you mean to say that the Debian
project was supposing that the larger organisations might want to
operate without security support for a year or two?!

> And I can't account for why you did not know of the Lenny end of support
> date.

My colleagues from a sibling network were equally surprised.  Why
wouldn't we be if there was no announcement made?
--
Arcady Genkin