Re: free software mini pc

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bruce Ferrell wrote at 2012-02-12 18:56 -0600:
>> http://www.logicsupply.com/categories/fanless_systems
>
> Thanks for the link, they have some nice looking systems.  Unfortunately I
> was unable to find any mention of Linux kernel support status.
>
>> They have a FEW system they have marked as unusuitable for use with Linux.
>> On checking as to why, they observed that they didn't do a clean shutdown
>> on with Ubuntu 10.04... Which was a know issue with that particular
>> distro/version.  I did my own testing and found them to be totally suitable
>> for my environment. YMMV.
>
> So they just try booting Ubuntu and if it works, then claim Linux support?

Their testing methodology isn't outlined in the post here.  The only
inference we can make is that "does the system shut down cleanly under
Ubuntu?" is one of the tests run.  The units marked "not suitable for
Linux" failed that test.  There is no other information on what
testing is done aside from the above.  You cannot make a statement
about their testing methods if you have no information on the entirety
of their testing guidelines/checklist.

> YMMV is exactly what I want the supplier/manufacturer to guarantee *against*
> (within reason).  Surely other consumers feel the same way?

Other consumers do feel that way.  However, that's in no way in
conflict with this company's testing methods based on the next to zero
information provided.

--
Chris