Re: how are html pages printed?

El 2012-02-13 a las 11:46 -0600, Mark Copper escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:32:49 -0600, Mark Copper wrote:
> >
> >> I have a box where attempting to print an html page containing an image
> >> results in an error.
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > What kind of error, exactly? Printed output garbage, no image printed at
> > all (blank data), on screen error...?
>
> A printer (HL-5250DN) generated error page with the following text:
> ERROR NAME; undefined, COMMND; Q, OPERAND STACK; <null>
>
> not particularly helpful --- the same error has appeared in different contexts

Mmm, that printer supports PCL6 and BR-Script3, a PostScript
implementantion from Brother. I'm not sure how PS compliant is that
language...

> > Have you tried with different browsers?
>
> Yes.  Iceweasel and Epiphany.
>
> > What's seen in the print preview? Are the images displayed?
>
> The page, including images, is displayed properly in the print preview.
>
> Yikes!  I have been too broad with my description of the problem.  I
> have been able to print some web pages with images properly.

Ah, that's fine.

> It appears that the problem arises with pop-up windows.
> javascript:openWindow, and UPS label windows are specific examples
> where the printer generates an error page.

I also use UPS web services and never had any problem when printing
their labels. I use a true PS printer which makes me think there can be
a issue with your PPD file and the UPS on-the-fly generated code.

I would try to add a new printer instance (keep the one you already
have, just add a new one) for the printer but using a PCL6 file instead
("pxlmono") and try to print the same page with it, just to compare both
outputs.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón