Re: Networking Q concerning /etc/network/interfaces

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 19:52:57 +0000, Brian wrote:

> On Sun 12 Feb 2012 at 19:32:31 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 19:08:11 +0000, Brian wrote:
>>
>> > In the post you responded to there is:
>> >
>> >    I have connected something to the other ethernet port now ... and
>> >    so ifconfig -a reports (with me doing nothing special but having
>> >    rebooted):
>> >
>> > and
>> >
>> >    both have received a dns served address (the one ending 42 is hard
>> >    coded at the router by MAC.  The range 100-150 is left for misc).
>>
>> Yes, I already read it but when he said "the other ethernet port" I
>> thought he was referring to "eth1", of course, because there's no
>> mistery otherwise.
>
> "the other ethernet port" is ambiguous but the second statement and the
> ifconfig output make it clearer.

Well, all this issue is around an ethernet card that received its
configuration data when it was not apparently connected to any cable nor
other facility, so who knows what's happening now.

> Who wants mystery? A clear statement of the perceived problem would be
> sufficient. Rebooting has altered the previous network settings and it
> is not certain we are dealing with the same situation as originally
> described.

Yes, and as I already told to Harry, I would start by stopping the
involved network daemons ("networking" and "network-manager") to start
over.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón