Re: Installing debian, dual boot on 1 TB disk?

On Sunday, February 12, 2012 09:48:34 AM ACro wrote:

> Hi Arief,

> > Now I have another problem, how to move all this partition (and

> > turn some of them into extended partitions) without destroying them.

> > Guess I'll need to rediscover dd.

> I've met a similar problem and it could be solved happily. You must have

> some understanding of partitioning.

> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Partition/

> First, it sounds like you have four primary partitions, with no extended

> partition among them: even if you shrink one, the resulting free space

> will be unusable because you can't create other partitions. In order to

> have more than four partitions, one of them *must* be extended: this

> allows you to create logical partitions into it.

> > the partition scheme is more-or-less like this:

> > 100M partition (hidden) - seems like a Windows-helper partition (I

> > read something about it, forgotten now)

> > 960 GB Windows partition

> > 20GB Recovery partion

> > 10M another part of recovery partition

> The following is what, in my opinion, you should do:

> 1) First, make a backup of your partitions.

> 2) Delete the last two Windows recovery partitions and remember their

> sizes: you will re-create them later (you can't move around partitions, or

> turn a primary into an extended!). 2) Start your Debian installer.

> 3) Resize your Windows partition with Debian's partitioning tool: this will

> inform you about the minimum size the partition must be, according to the

> volume of Windows' data (but leave your partition larger than this). 4)

> Re-create, at the end of the disk, the partitions you deleted: they must

> be *logical* partitions (this automatically creates an extended

> partition). 5) In the free space left in between, create your Debian

> system, as usually. Your first Debian partition can be primary, the others

> must be logical. Finish the installation and install GRUB in your MBR. 6)

> Now you can dual-boot.

> 7) Re-create the NTFS filesystems of both new Windows partitions and

> restore data in them. 8) Read the partitioning HOWTO ;-)

> Good luck,

> Andrew

Andrew,

I tried to do as you said, I also have windows in a 1TB drive.

How ever after shrinking win7-64 and installing Linux on the now extended partition, windows would not boot!!!!

On re-installing windows, everythig was set back to "normal" ie no Linux partition just windows.

Gerald