Re: Backup System part deux

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 06:08:04PM -0800, Gary Roach wrote:

> Thanks for all of the help last time . I installed Backupninja
> easily. After getting it running I realized that it didn't quite do
> what I wanted. I was looking for a package that could be installed
> in the server with little need for additional programs to be
> installed on each machine. So, after some searching, I switched to
> Backuppc. Now Backuppc will do what I want but it needs to run
> first. To cut to the chase I have (I think) the config.pl file set
> to backup /home, /etc, and /var with a couple of exclusions. As the

You should be able to do all your configuration from the web interface.
(Once you get backuppc running, of course).

> debian readme file suggested, I pasted the supplied script into the
> Apache2 config file. This seems to be working OK. I then moved the
> /var/lib/backuppc files to my spare hard drive '/backupdisk' and did
> a soft link from /var/lib to /backupdisk/backuppc. I then did the
> following
>
> root/.../etc# service backuppc start
> Starting backuppc...2012-02-09 17:17:05 Can't create a test hardlink
> between a file in /backupdisk/pc and /backupdisk/cpool.  Either
> these are different file systems, or this file system doesn't
> support hardlinks, or these directories don't exist, or there is a
> permissions problem, or the file system is out of inodes or full.
> Use df, df -i, and ls -ld to check each of these possibilities.
> Quitting...
>
> I searched for an answer and found dozens, all different and mostly
> old.  The either made no sense or didn't work. Specifically- all of
> my disks on all of my machines are ext3 file systems. Changing the
> permissions to 755 on all of the files didn't work.
>
> The path's involved look like:
>     /var/lib/backuppc -> /backupdisk/backuppc
>     /backupdisk/backuppc/ cpool, pc etc.

Your symlink should be ok.  I think you've got a permissions/ownership
problem.  /var/lib/backuppc needs to be owned by backuppc.backuppc

ext3 is definitely ok.  FAT32 is the most common one that you cannot use
with backuppc since it doesn't support hard links.

> I am running Debian Squeeze on all systems
> I am using rsync and have ssh installed on all systems.
> All of the systems communicate with each other over ssh
> My backup server is running two GB size disks. Backuppc is running
> on one disk and using the other for the backup data.

I have backuppc running on Squeeze.  Let me know if you have any other
specific questions.  There is a backuppc mailing list, as well.

-Rob