Re: "Invisible" files on /tmp from Flash or Iceweasel?

On 12/02/12 01:33, Randy Kramer wrote:
> I haven't done much googling on this, I have tried to check some of my old
> notes--maybe I'm a little burned out on google, so I'm just going to ask this
> here--pointers to good google search terms are welcome, I'm just not sure
> I'll find any (where good means terms that give me an answer in the first 10
> to 50 hits ;-)
>
> <background>
> In the (older) version of Flash that I used with Iceweasel, the Flash cache
> seemed to be on /tmp, and I could see files on /tmp with names like
> Flashxxxxxxxx.  I upgraded to a newer version sometime in the last year
> (because some youtube videos, iirc, would not work with the older version).
>
> With that newer version, the named Flash cache files are in my home directory,
> within the Iceweasel cache--in my case, in
> directory /home/rhk/.mozilla/firefox/pij0mitp.default/Cache with totally
> meaningless names like B84CDB39d01.  (But that's alright--not the problem /
> question I'm writing about.)
> </background>
>
> <leading up to the questions>
> The problem I have is that /tmp is still filling up with something, and
> if /tmp gets 100% full (when I have a lot of videos opened (obviously not
> playing--just sitting there and loading so that I can view them when I switch
> to the appropriate tab), the video I'm viewing freezes.

Sometimes, for some unknown reason, the pseudo streaming technique used
by Ffflash fails in it's attempts to make you repeatedly download that
which you have to download in the first place, and leaves temp full of
garbage (technically FLV garbage). :-)

Where possible use:-
http://youtube.com/html5

If enough people use it, maybe it will become a video standard when
HTML5 becomes a recommendation.

> But, when I go to look for files on /tmp, I can't find any that are related to
> Flash or Iceweasel.

I'm guessing you failed to make the appropriate incantations and/or
offer up a freshly slaughtered goat ;-)

> My guess is that somehow Flash or Iceweasel are doing
> something like using an inode to create and use a cache file, but not giving
> it a name, thus I am not able to find such files with the usual tools like
> ls.
> <leading up to the questions>
>
> So, my questions:
>    * is that possible (that Flash or Iceweasel are using unnamed inodes to
> create invisible files on /tmp)
>    * if so, are there some tools I can use to find those files and delete them
> to provide more space on /tmp (to free up the frozen videos)
>    * if not, can someone suggest (or confirm) what is happening on /tmp.

See below - should be fairly self-explanatory what Fffflash (Pure
Evil(tm) is doing this week.

> Additional clues / confirmation of my problem:
>    * After doing a df and finding /tmp at 100% full, I then do things like
> ls -alR /tmp/* (or du -a /tmp) and look at the size of the files there--I can
> see that the named files are nowhere near big enough to fill up /tmp.  (For
> example, with du I see "318     /tmp" meaning that the files that du can find
> total 318 blocks or kilobytes.  My /tmp is 459143 blocks (according to df).
>    * If I see df showing /tmp at 100%, I can quit Iceweasel, and the usage
> on /tmp drops down to 1% (to match the 318 kilobytes I mention above).
>
> Thanks!
> Randy Kramer

Start a Ffflash video (pretend can't just use Youtube HTML5)
scott@work:~$ iceweasel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRrqj-xjZuw

Find intitial tmp file
scott@work:~$ lsof | grep /tmp/Flash
cat       21409       scott    3r      REG        8,1   17184398
133504 /tmp/FlashXXk9bJ6j (deleted)

Find actual pseudo stream
scott@work:~$ cd /proc/21409/fd ;ls -l | grep Flash
lrwx------ 1 scott scott 64 Feb 12 09:24 16 -> /tmp/FlashXX4zwf7Y (deleted)

Optional (some lawyah is probably having wet dreams over this[*1]):-
scott@work:/proc/5960/fd$ cp 16 ~/"TISM I'm on the drug that killed
River Phoenix (He'll Never Grow Up To Be An Old Man River).flv"

[*1]Only hypothetical, and TISM *don't* care. Buy their albums, they
have a very pleasant odour.

Kind regards