Re: DHCPOFFER lost in transit :-)

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 21:09:21 +0200, Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

(...)

> Well, the laptop hasn't disconnected yet, but my smartphone doesn't
> connect at all. It's stuck at the "receiving IP address" stage.
>
> The DHCP server runs on my desktop so I have complete access to it. The
> X3000 is configured as a DHCP relay.
>
> Syslog shows the DHCPDISCOVER request received from the desktop, and
> answered with a DHCPOFFER (both via the router). But the packet (or
> whatever it is, sorry) never arrives, or if it arrives, is ignored by
> the smartphone.
>
> I don't know much about Android (which the cellphone is running) and I
> would prefer to leave it alone if possible.
>
> Do you have any ideas about the cause of this problem?

Mmm, I would start by discarding something wrong between your device and
DHCP server. The less players in the game, the better to start finding
the culprit :-)

How to do that? By configuring the smartphone with static network data
(manual IP, gateway, netmask, dns...).

If that solves the issue it means your AP is interferring/filtering
between the DHCP server and your device and this will require additional
debugging.

If that still does not solve the issue and you lose connection very
quickly or can't still connect to the AP at all, then the problem is
located elsewhere, either on the smartphone or/and the AP (low signal
strength, filters, an unexpected incompatibility with specific auth
system...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón