RE: Broken System After Update

From: carlo.borelli@gmail.com
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 02:09:18 -0300
Subject: Re: Broken System After Update
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

[...]

Yes, I have /usr and /var on separate partitions and both were required to be mounted before the command worked. I tried your alternative solution as well but none fixed my problem. I am convinced that my problem is not a corrupt initrd. I am at a loss as to what to do next to get my computer to boot up. Any leads?

Ogya

Last time I broke my Wheezy, I used the the rescue function of installation netboot disk, and I found the boot partition completely empty.
So, I did:
grub-mkdevicemap
grub-install /dev/sda (obviously sda is my disk, duh!)
update-grub and here I'd an error while automagically grub was rebuilding initrd
Then I deleted from the root the old link to vmlinuz, did again update-grub, then boot directory was successfully populated, the root link to vmlinuz too and a reboot gave me back the system like nothing was happened...

--
Registered Linux User #249354
"Ad astra per aspera"

Hi Carlo,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it but it still did not resolve the problem.