Broken System After Update

Hi All,

I am running Sid and a couple of months ago I updated my system including the kernel. After restarting my machine, I realised that my system was broken. Whenever I start the machine, I get a message lilke this:
   No init found. Try passing init= bootarg

   BusyBox v1.19.2 (Debian 1:1.19.2-1) built-in shell (ash)

  /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
  (initramfs)

I googled for solution and this is the solution  I got. The solution talks about chrooting and running the following command:
    update-initramfs -u -k $(uname -r) -u
but when I do that I get this error message:
   bash: update-initramfs: command not found.

This is what I did:

I booted up my computer using a debian live cd and ran the following commands:
  mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/
  mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
  mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
  mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys