Re: Flash Player 11 under Debian Lenny

>>>  Mmm, it seems that latest Adobe FlashPlayer (11.x) requires at least
>>>  Firefox 4, so getting the latest version (now 10.0) will do the job.
>>>
>>>  http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/tech-specs.html
>>

>>  That's what it says, but . . .   Flashplayer 11.1 r102, Firefox 3.5.15,
>>  Fedora 12 (all 64-bit) works just fine here.  Works in Google Chrome
>>  16.0.912.63, 64-bit, too.  My Debian 6 install, also 64-bit, has neither
>>  Firefox or Chrome installed, and only the 10.x version of Flash.  So, I
>>  can't test.
>
> I can't tell why it works for you in fedora but when the flashplayer
> plugin is properly detected by the browser and it can't load a file it
> usually means the problems is "elsewhere". Anyway, Lenny was using
> Iceweasel 3.0.x (not 3.5.x) unless you got the updated version from the
> backports version and 3.0.x it can be very old.

I don't know either, but with Fedora I've always installed the plugin manually. That is, downloaded the archive directly from Adobe and copied it as root to the appropriate directory (usually /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/), so it's globally available, renaming the previous version so it won't be overwritten.  This just in case the new one doesn't work, since I've been using until recently alphas or betas of the 64-bit version.  Just followed Adobe's generic Linux install instructions.   Never enabled Adobe's Fedora repository for this as it's all 32-bit, and won't work with a 64-bit browser unless you use a wrapper.  Too much trouble.

I think most Debian users use apt-get to install the plugin.  Maybe, there's the rub.

>>  To the OP:  Have you removed, moved, or renamed the old version(s) of
>>  Flash?  If not, two different versions of Flash even in different
>>  directories will cause problems.
>
> I've never had problems with that. In fact, I'm using right now adobe
> flashplayer in Firefox (the plugin is located in my user's home) and
> gnash in Epiphany (plugin is installed system wide), they do not collide.

Adobe says to delete or rename the old version before installing the new.  I forgot one time and had an old version in my /home directory and the new version in /usr.  The browser (Firefox) recognized and reported both, but neither would work until I deleted or renamed one or the other.  This was with Fedora Core 6, I think, years ago.

I've never had any success getting gnash to work.