Re: lpr command not found

On 03 Feb 2012, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> There is a bit more to this matter than the package "lpr".
>
> About a decade ago, the package lprng ("ng" meaning "next generation")
> fixed most of the problems of the package lpr.  Most importantly, the
> author of lprng carefully documented the procedure for configuring the
> printing system.  And though lprng was carefully wrought and worked
> well, lprng nonetheless was an elaborate patch of a legacy printing
> system.  In those days, getting printing configured properly was a
> somewhat complex post-installation process.
>
> Then cups was designed, and getting printing working properly in Linux
> suddenly was a fairly simple matter.  Things went well until cups was
> purchased by Apple, since which event there have been some
> improvements in printing configuration and management and some
> regressions.  And I miss the marvelous detailed cups test page, which
> Apple replaced with a primitive and ugly version.
>
> Today, "lpr" simply is one of the commands which cups recognizes;
> that is, cups controls the printer, and "lpr" is an element of the
> command set of cups.
>
> For example, I print a man page on the default laser printer with the
> command string "man -t packagename | lpr".  And I print address labels
> on a dot-matrix printer with the command string "lpr -Poki labels".
>
> RLH

Interesting: I didn't know about the purchase by Apple. I always
preferred lprng to cups but for some reason one of my laptops no longer
gave me /dev/lp0 so I was forced to use cups on that machine. I had some
problems with cups last summer (had to take the USB lead out and put it
back after each printing) but at present things seem to be more or less
all right. I still have lprng on my other machines and don't intend to
change unless I have to.

AC

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk