Re: [Fwd: Re: enable i915 rc6 save 7 watt on kernel 3.2]

Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> writes:

> options i915 modeset=1 i915_enable_rc6=1 i915_enable_fbc=1 semaphores=1

Isn´t using frame buffer compression likely to lower the graphics
performance because of the compression overhead?

I´ve got a Pavilion DV7 with some integrated Intel card that uses the
i915 driver, and it´s an euphemism to say that the graphics performance
is pitifully pathetic compared to the Nvidia GTX470 I´m used to ...

However, this laptop also has a Radeon card built in --- only I can´t
get it to work. Apparently the laptop is MUX-less, so I don´t get any
output to the screen when switching to the discrete card.

There are instructions on [1] how to get the Radeon card to work with
the fglrx drivers. Unfortunately, an outdated version of the intel
drivers seems to be required:

"Regarding the xf86-video-intel package, it is important to use a
version <2.16, as was fortunately noted in the forum post [5] (by
bojojo2020). This is because the current version of ati-drivers, 11.12
doesn't seem to work with newer versions of xf86-video-intel. (I was
initially unsuccessful with 2.17, and in my opinion, this is perhaps the
only detail due to which someone would fail in getting fglrx
running.)"[1]

Debian Testing has version 2.17 of the xserver-xorg-video-intel package
and fglrx-glx in version 11-12-1. I´ve tried the fglrx drivers; they
complain about not finding a library when setting them up, and running
startx only produced a segmentation fault with them. Is there any way to
get the Radeon card to work in Debian Testing?

[1]: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6936730.html