Re: creating (thumbnail) images *of* (not for) web pages

Hello lee,

lee <lee@songoku.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>is there a Debian package with software that helps in creating
>(thumbnail) images *of* (not for) web pages? Like something that instead
>of displaying a web page on screen as a web browser does creates an
>image file that can be saved to disk (and then be resized to a
>thumbnail)?

Well, there are various tools which can convert HTML to practically
anything, but they probably won’t do what you want.

However, googling (you did google, didn’t you?) brought me there:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/125951/command-line-program-to-create-website-screenshots-on-linux

The script in the first answer[1] needs some more adjustments, for
example, the s/firefox/iceweasel, the correct display option for
iceweasel and import also probably needs an environment variable
DISPLAY=:11

But apart from that, it should work :)

Best regards & good luck,

Claudius

1] For those too lazy to go there:

#!/bin/sh

# start a server with a specific DISPLAY
vncserver :11 -geometry 1024x768

# start firefox in this vnc session
firefox -display :11

# read URLs from a data file in a loop
count=1
while read url
do
    # send URL to the firefox session
    firefox -display :11 $url

    # take a picture after waiting a bit for the load to finish
    sleep 5
    import -window root image$count.jpg
done < url_list.txt

# clean up when done