Re: Kernel Compiling from scratch

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 04:54:12 -0500 (EST), Jon Dowland wrote:
> On 25/01/12 23:38, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Did you use the --initrd option when you invoked make-kpkg?
>
> I thought make-kpkg was deprecated years ago?

That depends on who you talk to.  The kernel team used to use it
to build their stock kernel image packages until Lenny; but they
don't use it anymore.  So the kernel team considers it deprecated.
But the upstream author and Debian package maintainer for
kernel-package, Manoj Srivastava, is not on the kernel team.
As far as I know, he still uses it himself to build custom kernels,
and so do a lot of other people.  I don't believe that Manoj
considers kernel-package to be deprecated.  Nevertheless, my
kernel building web page,

   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

also documents the "make deb-pkg" method in the "Alternatives"
section for those who wish to do it that way.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :