Re: how to get rid of pulseaudio gracefully

Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

>Running wheezy - kde plasma desktop
>
>I want to get rid of pulseaudio.  I almost never even use sound in
>linux and I see it always chugging away at 5-8 % cpu.  That seems a
>bit extreme some how.
>
>But anyway I don't need it.
>
>aptitude remove pulseaudio
>
>Offers what appear to be pretty ridiculous solutions.
>
>Things like uninstalling gnome-core.  Isn't that a bit dramatic just
>to get rid of pulseaudio?
>
>  Remove the following packages
>  1)     gnome-accessibility
>  2)     gnome-core
>  3)     libcanberra-pulse
>  4)     pulseaudio-esound-compat
>  5)     pulseaudio-module-x11
>  6)     task-gnome-desktop

2 and 6 are merely meta packages; 1 contains some accessibility stuff
I don’t completely understand and 3-5 depend upon pulseaudio and
appear to be some libraries. I therefore see no problem with pursuing
this solution :)

>       Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
>  7)     gnome-settings-daemon recommends pulseaudio
>  8)     speech-dispatcher recommends pulseaudio
>  9)     task-desktop recommends task-gnome-desktop | task-kde-desktop | task-lxde

Recommends are not depends.

Best regard,

Claudius
--
We want to create puppets that pull their own strings.
		-- Ann Marion