Re: How to get rid of resource hog whiptail

Harry Putnam wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> >> None the less, whiptail is still here hogging away at 75-80 percent
> >> cpu.
> >>
> >> When `aptitude remove' leaves the nasty bugger behind what is the
> >> procedure to finally be clear rid of it?
> >
> >   # pkill whiptail
>
> Well, yes.  I know how to kill a process but does it magically
> disappear then?  Or maybe you mean to do the killing before running
> aptitude?

I think we are talking past each other then.  You said whiptail was
hogging the cpu.  Did you mean a whiptail process?  If so then kill
it.  If not that then what did you actually mean?

Here is my reasoning.  Whiptail is simply a scripted dialog interface.
It never does anything on its own.  It isn't a daemon.  It always runs
as a child of another process such as apt or some other script such as
orphaner.  But you said you were using aptitude remove which means the
parent can't be apt because aptitude and apt-get and dpkg have
semaphores in place to prevent two of them running at the same time.
Therefore your whiptail process must be something unassociated with
those.  But very likely started by one of them since very few other
processes use whiptail.  Therefore very likely the process is broken
and stuck reading from a dead file descriptor.  Processes stuck
reading from a dead file descriptor often eath 100% of the cpu reading
EOF but not handling it.  So the read, and read, and read, in an
infinite loop.  A bug.  But lots of bugs exist.  Simply kill it.

If you mean something other than a whiptail process running and eating
100% of the cpu then please say a few more words about what it is
actually happening.

Bob