Re: How to get rid of resource hog whiptail

Harry Putnam wrote:
> I notice whiptail hogging cpu and decided to get rid of it and return
> to the package it is replacing `dialog'.

If whiptail (or dialog) is hogging cpu then it is probably off in the
weeds and should be killed.  It is simply a small interactive dialog
for scripts and is used in the installer.  Probably it is stuck
reading from a bad file descriptor.

> aptitude remove whiptail... offers a few decisions, and I made the ones
> that replace whiptail with dialog.

It is probably okay to remove it.  But I don't think that is needed.
Probably just to kill the currently stuck process.

> None the less, whiptail is still here hogging away at 75-80 percent
> cpu.
>
> When `aptitude remove' leaves the nasty bugger behind what is the
> procedure to finally be clear rid of it?

  # apt-get install procps

  # pkill whiptail

Or use 'killall' if you prefer.  Or by just looking it up.

  ps -e | grep whiptail

Let's say that is 32768, then:

  kill 32768

Bob