Re: usbmount and user permissions

> Hi all
>

> I've recently installed usbmount on Squeeze in order to mount a usb
> floppy disk drive to read old floppies. However, usbmount has now
> taken over everytime I mount something using usb and only allows me -
> as user - to copy from the usb device, not write to it or delete it,
> and has to be unmounted using sudo umount /media/usb0
>
> My question is: how do I change this so that I can write and umount
> the usb device as user? So far, I have tried: chown, chgrp and chmod
> all with no effect. User is also added to all the groups that seem
> relevant. Research on-line only refers to the chmod, chgrp and chown
> options as well.
>
> Any further ideas on how to change this please?
>
> Thanks
> AG

Hi AG,

It would be useful to know what changes you made to
/etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf, and which groups you added yourself to.

Anyway, assuming your USB floppy disk drive behaves like a USB flash
drive, and its file system is vfat, the following should work:

1. Add this line to /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf:
FS_MOUNTOPTIONS="-fstype=vfat,flush,gid=plugdev,dmask=0002,fmask=0113"

2. Add yourself to the plugdev group.

3. Log in again to for the group membership change to take effect.

To unmount the drive as an unprivileged user, enter this:
pumount /media/usb

Also read the comments about the sync option in
/etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf, and modify MOUNTOPTIONS accordingly.

--
Cheers,
Clive