Re: Blank screen at boot with kernel 3.1

Le 25 janvier 2012 20:09, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> a écrit :

>> I don't want to nominally install the 3.2
>> kernel, I only want the latest one, so I think I'll stick to
>> linux-image-amd64 and wait until that updates to 3.2. Should be quite
>> soon, I guess.
>
> As long as you don't have untrusted users on your system, a local root
> exploit might not scare you much.  And since you're willing to use a
> proprietary kernel module for which nobody knows what nasty things it
> might do, security probably does not really matter.

Well, let's say that the first thing I did after installing kdm was to
enable auto-login on my user, so yes, local security is not really a
concern for me (anyway, it's a home computer and anyone that could get
to a login screen would be physically sitting in front of it, so they
could boot on whatever live CD they'd like. So again, local security
is definitely not a concern for me).

> X does not know about that parameter, so it will try to load nouveau
> unless you specify a driver in xorg.conf.  But
>
> a) you have to specify the nvidia driver anyway if you want to use it;
>
> b) the only ill effect would be an error message in Xorg's log.

You are right, on both counts. The X installation went fine, except
that I had to write a minimal xorg.conf file to force it to use the
nvidia module (a). And yes, I also get an error message (actually, a
warning) in the log (b).

But the system seems to be working perfectly, so now I'm just left to
copy my files and fine tune the install.

Thanks again for the help!
--
Rémi Moyen