Re: default resolution on distro boot

Am Montag, 23. Januar 2012 schrieb mikezb@softhome.net:
> Given that several Linux distros identify (on boot) my display brand
> and type, get the size only slightly wrong, but default to a
> resolution that isn't native and doesn't work correctly, how do I
> identify just what package, module, or kernel part this "bug" hides
> in?
> I'm using a Sharp 32" LCD tv via hdmi cable, and it's identified as a
> 37". That's not as important as the default resolution, which comes up
> as 1280x720, but should be 1360x768 (or 1024x768 if wxga isn't
> doable).

I suggest to you reading:

TVs are all awful
Matthew Garrett

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/8705.html

as well as the linked postings

Why EDID is not trustworthy for DPI

Adam Jackson
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-October/157671.html

Matthew Garrett
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-October/157760.html

And then just stick to setting the resolution *manually*.

I know the latter are related to DPI and thus also how TVs report physical
size. But at least in the Blog by Matthew Garrett are also hints, while
resolutions would not be reported correctly.

The actual implementation as well as partly also specification for DDC
appears to contain quite some crap it seems. Manufacturers of TVs do not
seem to care much about reporting correct values in order of cheap, cheap,
cheap.

That is at least what I gathered from above mentioned reading.

Ciao,