Music software

Morning,

I'm running Mepis which is a squeeze spinoff.  I have started taking music
lessons.  My instructor plays a tune and I record it.  I want to then play it
back slowed down, without changing the pitch of the notes so that I can "play
along."  Tried audacity (1.3.12), but it lowers the pitch of the notes when I
slow the music down.

I'm looking at a package called mixxx.  There is a version for lenny, wheezy
and sid, but not for squeeze. (yes, I tried debian-multimedia).  Does anyone
have either a suggestion for how to get the sid package working or another
package that will do the job for me?

Thanks,

Mark