XFCE and automatic monitor detection

This is mostly a laptop question, but probably general enough that I
want to post it here instead.

So one thing that I think Gnome2 had over XFCE  is better multiple
monitor support.  I could plug in a new monitor and the right thing
would just happen.  More importantly, I could unplug the monitor, and
everything would automatically collapse down onto the laptop.
Particularly useful if your screen is now locked.

XFCE seems to have a different philosophy on this matter:  use xrandr
(or similar).

Fine...OK... so.... rather than having to fire up arandr every time or
a script (tough to do if your screen is locked and the password
display is on the disconnected monitor), I'd like to have it happen
automatically.

So what kind of options do I have?

Some searching seems to indicate that it's a matter of polling.
Something akin to running xrandr -q every so often, and when a state
changes, do something appropriate.  There seems to be a hint that some
sort of even could be fired and caught instead (via acpi, dbus, other
assorted buzzwords), but that maybe it doesn't really work.

Does there exist any software that I can just run at login time that I
can configure such that ``when you see these particular monitors
attached, switch into this mode.'' However it does that, I don't care
as long as it doesn't bog down the machine.  And ideally work if a
monitor is unplugged when the machine is locked.

If not, what would be my approach for writing something for myself?

Thanks,
mrc