Re: My network speed is only 10MB

hvw59601 wrote:
> Very interesting. So I measured... 11MB/s. Ethtool says card
> (onboard) can do 100Mb/s. So quite good.
>
> I think: get a faster card and put that in... :-)
>
> So I check NewEgg:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122392
> 10Gb/s:
>
> Check that price! $279.99 Holy Cow! And that's the cheapest one!

That is a 10 gig card.  You just said you had a 100 meg card.  A 1 gig
card would be 10x faster than your 100 meg card and can be had much
cheaper.  They are easily and cheaply obtained from eBay.  I recently
bought several GigE cards for less than ten dollars US.  10 GigE cards
are not yet that common to make them cheap.  But GigE cards are easily
available much cheaper.

All of this assumes that it will help you.  It will only help across a
LAN connection from local machine to local machine.  As soon as you
start talking to the Internet across the WAN then suddenly you are
back into the slow speed of stop and go traffic congestion.  Even a
10BaseT card would be more than sufficient for the entry level
broadband connections most commonly seen in the US.  I wouldn't try to
optimize that speed unless you have a local office or work area with
local servers or other local network traffic *and* have already
benchmarked the current performance level first.

Bob