Re: Unable to boot into CompactFlash card - card not found by initrd

On 18/01/12 21:15, Michael Lange wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for the reply.
>
> Thus spoketh Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>
> unto us on Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:23:35 +1100:
>

>> At the grub prompt hit 'e' to enter edit mode.
>> What where does GRUB expect the root to be? (should not be hd0, probably
>> should be hd1,1).
>
> the grub.cfg entry:
>
> menuentry 'CFcard' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class
> os { insmod part_msdos
>    insmod ext2
>    set root='(hd0,msdos1)'

set root='(hd1,msdos1)'

hd0 is the first hard drive (where /boot lives)

>    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 7329bb28-71ea-4060-96a1-accaeef453f5
>    echo   'Loading Linux 2.6.32-5-686 ...'
>    linux   /vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-686 root=7329bb28-71ea-4060-96a1-accaeef453f5 ro

linux   /vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-686
root=UID=7329bb28-71ea-4060-96a1-accaeef453f5 ro

I'm not certain about the directory slash either....

>    echo   'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
>    initrd   /initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686
> }
>
> where both (hd0,msdos1) and 7329bb28-71ea-4060-96a1-accaeef453f5 point
> to /boot on /dev/sda1.
> The grub menuentry was one of my first suspects, too, especially as I am
> not familiar with grub2 at all and good docs on it are hard to find.

Perhaps by "good" you mean "specific to your particular needs". :-)

info grub?

"To help you find out which number specifies a partition you want, the
GRUB command-line (*note Command-line interface::) options have argument
completion. This means that, for example, you only need to type

     set root=(

   followed by a <TAB>, and GRUB will display the list of drives,
partitions, or file names. So it should be quite easy to determine the
name of your target partition, even with minimal knowledge of the
syntax."

The full, very comprehensive manuals are online at gnu.org.
Currently blacked out for some bizarre reason (yeah I know, SOPA, but
GNU users don't need educating - just a message should be enough.
Wikipedia is different, and Facebook should blackout for the rest of the
decade).

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.gnu.org%2Fsoftware%2Fgrub%2Fmanual%2Fgrub.html

> I admit that I don't know what the "set root=..." line does at all, when I
> change it into set root='(hd1,msdos1)' or '(hd1,1)' I can't see any
> difference. However, when I edited the grub.cfg entry the same way I
> could boot an usb flash drive, so I think it is ok, and the final error
> message when booting fails is:
>
>     ALERT! /dev/disk/by-label/CFCARD does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

See modification I suggested above

> So apparently linux looks up the right place but does not find it, no
> wonder as there is no /dev/hda

So where does GRUB live?
;-p

> and none of the boot messages indicating
> the CF card has been recognized is seen.

Agreed

> Regards
>
> Michael

<snipped>

I regret I don't have the time to check the above for you at the moment
(CF card is in use). I'm not sure if the / in front of the initrd and
kernel are necessary. (there paths are supposed to be relative to the
/boot directory). So try without them as well.

You still get problems we can try boot delays incase it takes too long
to make the device ready (pcmcia lag).

Cheers